martes, 14 de febrero de 2012

Lovely Memories...


In keeping with the Valentine's Day theme, I thought I'd share a special treasure I found on one of my "hunting" trips recently.







We came across this fabulous little "Autograph" book and at first, I thought that it would be like any other old "scrap" book I sometimes find...empty! Perhaps the former owners had nothing to say or nothing to "keep" that would be treasured by future generations? Perhaps they didn't want to record their special memories?



Fortunately, this time, I was wrong! When I picked it up and opened the the tiny cover, I was pleased to find lovely notes or "autographs" written to the owner of the book, Walter on every single page! Walter appears to have been a very popular young man in his teens or perhaps early 20's in the 1930's.



The 1930's were undoubtedly an important time in history. The Great Depression was in full force with World War II breaking out at the end of the decade. During that time, the average family had to struggle to survive at a time when jobs were scarce and money was hard to come by. Luckily, something that was free was friendship, faith and love and this book is a great homage to a time when people relied on that faith and friendship to carry them through such tumultuous times.



It seems to me that Walter had a "nifty" personality and was adored by many friends but especially young women! Here are two sweet examples:











I especially love the beautiful handwriting. It was done at a time when handwritten notes and letters meant something...they conveyed so much emotion, love, friendship, hardship...there was definately more thought put into everything folks wrote down on paper. In this case, our friend Walter had left a terrific mark on those that wrote in his special book. I wonder if he beamed brightly with a smile on his face from ear to ear after reading each and every one of the "autographs" he collected over what seems like a good decade or more.







Imagine my surprise and the huge smile that appeared on my face when I came across these outrageous drawings done especially for Walter...drawings made by two young ladies from the time...







Look at that kitchy hair style!!! To draw it was a feat in itself...imagine having to style your hair that way every single day!







Ahhhh...young love...the pencil still allowing us to see this romantic moment! I wonder if young Mabel had a special place in her heart for our dear Walter?







A real treasure indeed...till the very end...







Dearest Walter...thank you.







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario